Saturday, September 27, 2008

Not In The Mood To Date?

Finally, CNN has posted an article on why it's ok not to date. I personally do not date. I despise dating these days. I find it so weird that girls have to dress themselves up in order to find the love of their life. Here's my theory, if someone's going to like me, they should like me for looking like me. I know that theory is worn out and everyone says it but no one believes it. If you actually believed it, you wouldn't be putting on four pounds of makeup in order to go to a club. You wouldn't be wearing skirts and dresses that reveal more than they should. Why should I bother straightening my hair for the sake of getting a date? If someone wants to date me, they should like me when I wear my loose jeans and comfy shirts. There's no point in putting up a front, it makes no sense to wear sexy clothes and high heels for the first few dates. You can't tell if that person likes you for who you are or what you wear (or sometimes what you don't wear).

I love the line from the article that says "There are plenty of cheerful single women who are neither desperate nor lonely." Now I may not be a ray of sunshine, but I am definitely not desperate or lonely. I enjoy being alone, some people see it as being anti-social, I see it as enjoying my own company. Maybe I'm selfish, I'm not too good at sharing. I've shared my heart one too many times, become emotionally attached, given all I had, then got screwed in the end. I'm sure this has happened to all of us, but it's happened to me in extreme ways. I don't want to play the dating game either. I don't want to become emotionally attached. I don't want to be the girl waiting by the phone for a call or text message. I don't want to have to worry about someone else or get jealous when they choose to hang out with someone else over me. I don't want to have to worry about my heart getting broken either. I seem to have "bum radar" if there is a bum within a five mile radius, I seem to attract them.

And it stinks sometimes because some people think I'm odd because I don't date. They think there is something wrong with me because I don't want to find the love of my life. I already have plenty of love in my life, why on earth do I need to frazzle myself looking for more? I love singing, playing my piano, painting, knitting, tv, and my newest obsession, playing video games. If I had to date someone, I would have to give up one of my loves to make time for that person. I'm not willing to do that especially when I know that the relationship will end. There will be a fight, or jealousy, possibly unfaithfulness (not on my part), along with a ton of other issues. I will end up heart broken and bitter, hating everything having to do with everyone.

I may not be drunk, lonely, infectious, desperate, or not over a past love, but I have my own reasons for not dating. Love me or leave me, I don't care, because I'm perfectly content being alone. Maybe you should try it?

Sincerely,
Advice Queen Jean

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, sistah! Another big point I think you may have missed here: You have to love yourself before you can love someone else! You MUST be able to enjoy your own company. Self-confidence is going to get you far in this world, and may even help find that love-of-your-life someday. But, life is too short to not enjoy some quality "me" time when it's needed.

Advice_Queen_Jean said...

Amen sistah right back at ya! Thanks for reading my blog Ariel! I like my own company too much to share it with a fling or two. I prefer to share it with my awesome friends, like you.